Sunday, May 27, 2007



A few months ago, Kerrie and I were at Jungle Jim's (as we so frequently are) and I picked up a bottle of Rieme Traditional Limonade Artisanale. After we got home I stuck it in the cooler and sorta kinda forgot about it.



Jumping ahead, one night I made Steak Frites and we had this limonade with it. And let me say, it was freakishly amazing.

But wouldn't you know it, the next time we went grocery shopping there wasn't any left. I realized, thinking back, that it was a sale item on a display near the front door to promote a quick sale. I dragged Kerrie back to the French section of the store, but all they had was a sickly yellow lemon drink that I was NOT about to go near.

So the quest began, a mission if you will, to create my own version of this amazing drink. It was a sparkling beverage, very light and only slightly sweet. The beauty of this lemonade was that it wasn't sugary and "sticky" tasting. Amazingly enough, I came up with a recipe very quickly without much effort at all and it really came close. So close, in fact, that I'm not really worried about finding this product ever again.

---
Sparkling Limonade

1 Cup Sugar
1 1/2 Cup Water
1 Stalk Lemongrass, Chopped
1 T Lemon Juice
1 T Lime Juice

Sparkling Water

Combine Sugar and Water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add Lemongrass. When Syrup has cooled, strain into a bowl and discard lemongrass. Add Lemon and Lime juices, then refrigerate until ready for use. Mix with Sparkling water in a rocks glass.

* - I use a plain 'ole squeeze-bottle to store the syrup once it has cooled.
* - The ratio of Syrup to Sparkling water that I use is small. Maybe 1/10... I don't really measure, I just watch how much I pour into the glass.
---

Tomorrow, for Memorial Day, Kerrie and I have decided to watch the Die Hard Trilogy. It's just not a Holiday without Bruce Willis blowing some shit up.

No comments: