Sunday, June 03, 2007



Being that the summer is now fully upon us, I'm all about the Ice Cream. Perhaps I should elaborate... I love ice cream, especially artisan/marble-slab style ice cream. That being said, there is one thing I love more: Gelato. I love the intense flavor and ultra creamy texture of a good Gelato. Fat and calories be damned!

Alas, I miss those hectic Ann Arbor trips where we almost always wound up at that one Gelato shop near Encore Records and Wizzywig. Every once in a while, when I get nostalgic for those impromptu northbound trips, I like to pull out the ice cream maker and crank out a batch of Gelato.

Gelato, loosely translated, is the generic Italian term for Ice Cream. The major difference between us and them is that they have a lot less air in their frozen treats than we do. None the less, to enjoy a bowl of Gelato is to be in another world. So recently, I made a batch of Coffee Gelato...

To start, I must admit that we were getting rid of a bunch of cans of Starbucks Iced Coffee. I picked up one of the cans of "light coffee" and immediately thought of making Gelato.

---

Coffee Gelato
4 Egg Yolks
1 Cup Sugar
1 T Vanilla
1 Cup Whole Milk
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Cup Canned Iced Coffee

Whisk together Egg Yolks, Sugar and Vanilla until pale and creamy.
Bring Milk, Cream and coffee to a boil, then set aside for 10 Minutes and allow to cool.
Stir the Milk mixture into the Egg mixture, the pour into a double boiler.
Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
Allow to cool completely, the refrigerate overnight.
Process mixture in an ice cream maker, then spread into a 1/4 Pan and place in freezer for 2 hours.

---








funkygelatogroove
Motorhead - Love me like a reptile
Misfits - Static Age
Rocket from the Crypt - Bring us Bullets
Big Audio Dynamite II - The Globe
Iggy Pop - Success

No comments: