Sunday, November 02, 2008

When there is no more room in Hell...



Halloween came and went, with very little fanfare. Kerrie and I were going to be Fry & Leela, but her Gall Bladder surgery made quick work of that.

For Halloween, instead, Kerrie and I played it a little more low-key. I baked some amazing Sour Cream Sugar Cookies, and Kerrie and I went to Bonefish Grill for dinner.

Bonefish, for being a chain, was a bit of a revelation for Kerrie and I. Neither of us are big fans of seafood, but neither of us have had the quality of seafood we had Friday night. To put it another way, We were impressed...

We started with Drinks. I had a Pino Grigio, while Kerrie had a Lemongrass Martini. We started the meal with a plate of Fried Calamari. I love Calamari, and this was damned close to the way I make it. For our entree, Kerrie and I shared a Pairings Plate made up of four separate seafood recipes. First, there was Shrimp and Scallops in a Pan Asian sauce. The second was Salmon with a Lemon Butter, followed by Chilean Sea Bass with a Warm Mango Salsa. The last, and my favorite, was a Grouper with Chimichurri. We finished off the meal with two desserts, Creme Brulee and a Macadamia Nut Brownie with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and a Raspberry Puree.

I was slightly disappointed, only because the lighting was too dim for my phone to get any good pictures. The meal, however, completely wowed me. For once I was really into the flavors brought forth by different types of seafood. Salmon, for example, has generally disgusted me in the past. This however, grilled over a wood fire, actually inspired me a little.

To finish off the weekend, Kerrie and I rented some fun horror movies and we'll just lounge around nibbling on whats left of the cookies.



Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
1 Cup Butter
1 Cup Sugar
1 Egg
8 oz. Sour Cream
1 1/2 t Vanilla
4 Cups Flour
1 1/2 t Baking Powder
1/4 t Kosher Salt

In a medium size bowl, mix together Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream sugar and softened butter together.
Beat in egg, sour cream, and vanilla.
Gradually add flour mixture to sour cream mixture and mix well.
Chill dough for at least 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
Roll dough to 1/4" thickness, and cut into desired shapes.
Bake at 350F for 10 minutes. Allow to set for 1 minute, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
---

My Top 5 Halloween Movies:
(In no general order)
1.) Night of the Living Dead (1968)
2.) Dawn of the Dead (2004)
3.) Pet Semetary
4.) Young Frankenstein
5.) American Psycho
Honorable Mention (Post-Apocalyptic Fun)
1.) The Running Man
2.) Escape from New York


No comments: