Saturday, November 08, 2008

Sexual Nightmares and Sleep Crimes...



It seems like forever ago now, but there used to be a time when I would inevitably wind up at Myles Pizza with a variety of Bowling Green's seedier characters after closing at Cosmo's.

There was always something insanely cool about Myles. No windows, old high-back booths, pinball machines, and the heaviest gutbusting pizza on the planet. Personally, I would never try to make pizza the way Myles did/does, but it was something I would crave after a long boring night of ambient downtempo music and cup after cup of Sumatra.

It was always basically the same routine too. I would get a scotch (usually Dewars) and split a Pepperoni pizza with any of the other part-time sociopaths, serial killers in training, or robot makers that would tag along. Some nights the group was bigger than others, and some nights it would just be two or three of us. Either way, this was one of my more comforting routines from back in the day...

Now, as time has passed, there are no more 12:30 Pizza runs. Life has taken on a new shape, and I'm proud to say I make my own pizza from scratch. Frequently I might add... I've spent a lot of time trying to create both the perfect thick and hand tossed pizza crusts, and recently all my hard work finally paid off.

Tonight was Scotch and Pizza night. After a generally good recommendation from the Commodore, I purchased a bottle of The Famous Grouse scotch whiskey and proceeded to create an excellent Meat pizza on a hand tossed crust.



My pizza dough is a merciless quest in excellence. I don't need perfection, I need my dough to be excellent. And the hand tossed dough I made? Fucking excellent.

I chose some good toppings too. You can't go wrong with Pepperoni, but when you add a nice hard salami, some prosciutto, and a little sweet Italian sausage, you're coming close to nirvana.



Hand Tossed Pizza Crust
6 oz. Water
1 T Olive Oil
2 C Flour
1 t Salt
1/2 t Sugar
1/2 t Yeast

Combine all ingredients into pan of breadmaker, set to Dough and allow to run.
Turn dough out onto floured surface, punch down, and stretch to desired size. (12" to 14" is optimal but can be stretched further for a thinner crust.)
---

I use a breadmaker for this because of the extremely important, but often overlooked, steps involving kneading and proofing. It's gotta be done, and this is a crazy-easy way to knock out a great pizza dough fairly quick.

meatpizzagroove:
Gary U.S. Bonds - New Orleans
Prodigy - Smack my bitch up
Breeders - Cannonball
Daft Punk - Digital Love
KMFDM - Naive
Revolting Cocks - Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?

No comments: