Thursday, July 28, 2005

Woke up this morning... And got yourself a gun...

I woke up this morning to the sounds of NPR cackling on about CRAPTAH. I rolled out of bed and made Kerrie lunch, and after she left I brewed some coffee and turned on the local news...

I was dismayed to find that a Cinci legend, a culinary giant to south-west Ohio, just up and closed it's doors for good Monday...

-Maisonette- was a restaurant I was very much looking forward to going to. This place was what "fine dining" was actually about. An actual 5-Star French restaurant so close to my front door, I could practically smell it. Apparently they were experiencing declining business in the Downtown Cinci, and their relocation efforts to Kenwood have been seriously hampered by typical zoning bullshit. Although very expensive, going to Maisonette for an evening was a goal I was looking forward to, and now...

On a lighter note, there were some very funny articles I read this past week relating to the food industry. Here are a few:

Burger King LOVES the Coq...

Who HASN'T wanted to extort money from Hardee's?



Yesterday, I made Portuguese Style Pork Cutlets with Skillet Roasted Potatoes and string beans. It was good, to be honest... I at first I wasn't so sure, though. The marinade, which later becomes the sauce, smelled pretty rank. White wine, minced garlic, paprika, cloves, and bay leaves macerating for 6 or so hours then simmered into a slightly thick sauce? I wasn't so sure. But, after reducing the sauce and grilling the cutlets, everything turned out very nice.

Today I'm going to make a Port Wine Caramel Sauce, plus I'm going to make a Port Wine Caramel. A few months back, I screwed up this recipe and was very unhappy about it. So unhappy that I got very short-sighted about the whole thing and scrapped the idea entirely. But a few nights ago, I woke up at -like- 3:15 in the morning and had an idea about it. I could make the firm caramel AND the sauce and pair them with a Chocolate Lava Cake. Word...

Groove to This:
Iggy Pop - Lust for Life (Live version, 1977)
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Don't Leave Me This Way
The Highgears - Put the Screws to Ya
Rob Zombie & Lionel Ritchie - Brick House 2000
Placebo - 20'th Century Boy

No comments: