Wednesday, May 20, 2009



When I was in high school, 17 years ago, I was a drummer. Or something like that anyways... I used to hit things with sticks to make rhythm. That was me...

Back then one of my favorite places to go was the Toledo Music Instrument Exchange, which has long since closed I think. It was a big warehouse-like place with all sorts of new and used gear stacked up ALL over the place. One of my favorite memories of TMIE was to dig through buckets of drum sticks, looking for mix-n-match deals. Sometimes you could get away with top-name stuff for dirt cheap. Sometimes not so much...

For drummers, Vic Firth is a big name. Kinda. Like anyone in the biz I'm sure there are as many haters as there are lovers. I was a lover, as the guy knows rhythm. But time passed and drumming became no priority whatsoever. And then one day I realized I was some sort of cook. WTF?!?

Friday night, however, things sort of came full circle. While preparing for this weekends Wedding Cake Test, Kerrie spotted a wooden rolling pin at Jungle Jims. That rolling pin? A Vic Firth. No, I am not kidding. Not only does the guy put his name on some quality sticks, but he's ventured into the culinary world.

So skipping forward to today, everything was in place. I had made my two layers of Chocolate Stout cake, and gathered all the appropriate ingredients and tools. I spread my crumb coating onto the cake, and with my Vic Firth I began rolling out the Fondant. The end result was impressive and easy. While I need a little more practice, this is definitely doable. There were a few small "first time" issues that came up, but the overall process came together very easily...








I know the cake is good, as I've made it before. All I really need to work on is my smoothing technique for the fondant, and keeping a steady hand when I put on any royal icing. And here we... go!

No comments: