Sunday, November 05, 2006

I'm not a fire starter, 'cuz I'm a bit smarter...

For all the times I've said how glad I am to be out of Bowling Green, there are a few things that I miss from there. One of those things I miss is The Corner Grill. I know, I know... But, it's "a thing". Once you eat there, work there, and practically live there, it's hard to let go of it all.

Not so much of a problem any more.

Many of you have heard me rant about the food at The Grand Finale in Glendale, right? Well, there is this dinky-assed-nasty dive bar directly across the street from GF called The Friendly Stop. Well, it WAS a dive bar until the people who owned the GF bought it and turned it into a pub\diner.

Don't get me wrong, this place is nothing spectacular. But it IS pretty amazing. Good food, a full bar, and a very liberal smoking policy. Basically, I've found my new Corner Grill...






We started with a half order of Fried Mozzarella ($2.95). Sure, not all that classy, but most certainly one of my favorite bar foods.



Kerrie had the Cajun Burger with a generous portion of french fries ($4.50) while I had their "Meat Loaf 2 Die 4" ($5.50) which Kerrie described as "A wall of meat". The food, and I'd like to be very clear about this, was very good.





To finish things off, Kerrie had a Guinness and I had a cup of coffee. As we sat back in our rickety wooden chairs and watched the blue-collar grunts and the old yuppie ladies eating their meals, we took in all the memorabilia on the walls: Post Cards, License Plates, Ancient posters from before I was born... With the final bill totaling $20.03, it was a perfect meal for a perfect fall day.

No comments: