Tuesday, August 29, 2006

You're just too good to be true...

A long time ago, in a city not so far away...

Once upon a time, long before I became a man of The Scotch, I used to love gin. More specifically I used to love Gimlets and Martinis. Until, of course, a very unfortunate evening with some gin-soaked green olives and some truly shitty cheap gin.

Nowadays, I'm more of a scotch type of guy. (Cutty at Trotters, Blue Label at the Bronze Boar...) I'm also very partial to 100 Proof Stoli. (Just ask Wes about THAT one.) That being said, every once in a while I get the craving for a Vodka Martini. Further more, when a Callebaut rep comes to the University you work at to do a demo for the culinary students, you do what any and every mercenary cook does: You raid their tables for anything that isn't nailed down while they eat at the restaurant you're supposed to be working at.

Okay, yes... I'm kind of all over the place so far. But I needed to give you the setup. Ya see...

Yesterday was the last day of the Summer Semester. Being that this is break-week, the culinary institute invites all of these big-grin salesmen types to case the joint and hawk their cheesy wares. The big attraction this week, though, is a demo from Callebaut Chocolates. My fellow cooks and I saw them setting up and our sleazy Cosmos-esque minds immediately went into planning mode. We knew they weren't eating chocolate for lunch, so we decided to wait for the right moment.

Callebaut, I'd like to say, is the best chocolate I've ever tasted. And I have quite a taste for Lindt and Valrhona chocolates. Callebaut is exceptionally smooth and has no waxy feel or taste whatsoever.

So yeah, as these doofus pastry kids came pouring into the main dining hall, 3 or 4 or, like, 8 of us flanked out the back of the kitchen with baggies and parchment paper envelopes and grabbed everything we could get our hands on. I got a really cool cheap pen from Vanleer Chocolates.

Now this brings us back to the beginning, in a very Pulp Fiction sort of way... The second I saw the box of Chocolate Pencils, I knew I needed to make some Chocolate Martinis for dessert.







Chocolate Martini
2 .oz Vodka (Preferably 100 Proof)
1 .oz Baileys Irish Cream
1 .oz Creme de Cacao
2 - 4 .oz Heavy Whipping Cream (Depending on how strong you like the drink to be.)

Shake vigorously in a shaker with three or four ice cubes.

Garnish as you see fit.

---

Ah, the good life.

ungaurdedcallebautgroove:
Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons - Can't Take my eyes off of you
Portishead - All Mine
Bobby Darin - Chubby Clementine
Low - Those Girls
Cassandra Wilson - The Good Life

No comments: