Wednesday, August 10, 2005

You're a sweet, Divine Thing...

Today I made my version of Chunky Monkey Ice Cream. As previously stated, Kerrie has developed a slight allergy to Tree Nuts. That's unfortunate because a lot of great things contain Almonds, Walnuts, Pecans... And so forth.

So I make Chunky Monkey without Walnuts here at home. Surprisingly, it's a fairly easy ice cream to make too. The last time I made it, I used Condensed Milk and chocolate chips. I wasn't entirely pleased with the texture of the Ice Cream, but it tasted amazing. Today, however, I created my own version from the ground up.

Jay's Chunky Monkey Ice Cream
4 Egg Yolks
1 Cup Sugar
2 Cups Whole Milk
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1 t Vanilla
1 t Sea Salt
4 T Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 Banana
2 T Peanuts, chopped

Start by Mixing the Egg Yolks with the Sugar until smooth and pale. Set Aside.
In a small sauce pan, combine the Milk, Cream, Vanilla and Salt and bring just to a boil - Stirring constantly so as not to curdle.
Once Hot, add Milk mix to Egg mix in a SLOW STREAM stirring constantly with a wire whip to prevent scrambling the eggs. Once combined and smooth, add cocoa powder and mix thoroughly.
Return custard to sauce pan and place over LOW heat and stir till thick, about five minutes. DO NOT LET CUSTARD BOIL!
Place custard in a bowl and allow to cool to room temp, then cover and place in refrigerator until COLD.
When ready to run through an Ice Cream Maker, Mash up Banana with a fork into a smooth paste. Add to Chocolate Custard and pour into Ice Cream Maker in a slow stream. As ice cream begins to form, add Peanuts 1 Tablespoon at a time.
Once finished, return formed Ice Cream to freezer.


Aww yeah...

Last night, Kerrie and I went to see ROTS at the Cincinnati Mills. It's the movie the die-hard's were waiting for, myself included. But before the movie, we went to the Great Steak & Potato company for sandwiches. I was unimpressed. They smeared my sandwich with mayo and tons of ice-berg lettuce which I found to be super gross. I love a good cheesesteak and these were just nasty. Good fries though.

Tonight Kerrie and I will be enjoying some nice New York Strips I picked out at Jungle Jims this week. I'm thinking of starting with small Caesar Salads, followed by the main plate which will be New York Strips with Lavender Demi Glace, roasted Potatoes and String Beans, followed by my own Peach Cobbler with some Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Oh, and lots of Red Wine.

Next Week, I'm going to do a lot of Southwestern\Mexican cooking. I'm thinking Fajitas, Spice Rubbed Steaks, and the big-daddy: Puerco Pibil. For those of you who have NOT seen Once upon a time in Mexico, this is the dish that Johnny Depp's character always orders in every restaurant he is in. I'm excited because Jungle Jim's carries everything I need to make this dish without any special ordering. (Yes, even banana leaves!)

Also on deck for the rest of the week, Lemongrass Sorbet and a Double Layer Cheesecake w/ Chocolate Ganache. Oh yeah... Giggety Giggety...

Groovariffic:
Soup Dragons - Divine Thing
Elvis - Kentucky Rain
Piss Artists - I Want You Back
De La Soul - Keeping The Faith

1 comment:

BGslum said...

Yeah, looks like you're having a rough time there... ;)