Tuesday, April 24, 2007



I love a good Chicken Cordon Bleu.

Last week at work we made a batch for a special catering for the Prez, and after that I had the idea in my head to do my own. The batch we made was very simple: Pound the chicken, swiss cheese and ham, breading, and fry. Personally, I think if you're going to make something as simple, yet completely amazing, as this you really should go all out.

Then again, I forget that not everybody has immediate access to Jungle Jim's. Thankfully, Kerrie was very patient as I admired the many different varieties of cured meats, smoked cheeses, and freshly baked breads. When all was said and done, I opted to go with a nice Havarti cheese and some Soppresotta for my filling, two beautiful 6.oz chicken breasts - pounded flat, and a hunk of toasted Italian bread.






I prefer not to fry when I make this dish, nor do I use breading. I like seasoning and roasting the rolled chicken breast. Maybe it's just because I like this presentation, or possibly some sub-conscious health-pansy thing, but roasting works here.

Roasted Chicken Cordon Bleu
2 Chicken Breasts, boneless and skinless - pounded flat
4 pieces Sopprasotta
3 pieces Havarti
Paprika, salt, pepper
Arugala, chiffonade
Italian bread, sliced thick

Preheat oven to 450F.
Start by pounding chicken flat.
Fold or cut Havarti into triangle halves.
Place 2 pieces of Sopprasotta, then three triangles of Havarti on flattened chicken. Roll tighly (Like a jellyroll) and place in a square baking dish.
Season with Paprkia, slat, and pepper.
Roast, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes or until fully cooked and cheese is melted.
During the last five minutes of the roasting, toast the slices of Italian bread until nicely browned.
Assemble by placing one roll of chicken on top of a slice of toasted bread. Garnish with chiffonade Arugala.
---

We enjoyed a nice Pinot Grigio with this meal. Pinot Grigio, I have recently found, may very well be my favorite of all the white wines. Either that or I got really lucky with my selection last time I bought wine.

'Eh.

"Slash out the windows
The curtains are drawn
Lock down the compound
Bolt it and guard
Divided and conquered
Then booted to space
Beg for survival
On the planet of race
Come on!
..And Bring Us Bullets! Bullets!"

- Rocket from the Crypt, Bring Us Bullets

No comments: