Friday, July 24, 2009

You know the thing about chaos? It's fair...



Give the phenomenal success last summer of The Dark Knight, I feel less dorky writing out this little blurb...



When I was a kid, my mom was pretty vigilant about making a proper breakfast for my brother and I. Not just a quick cereal or pop-tart type thing, but an actual hot meal made from scratch. One of my favorite breakfast meals, and one that was frequently requested, was from the uber-campy D.C. Super Heroes Super Healthy Cookbook.

The Invisible Bat Banana French Toast was, and I recently realized still is, one of my favorite and utterly simple childhood recipes. I remember when my mom would make, that I always thought of it as some laborious chore. Something complicated and time consuming? But hey, it was mom and mom had it all under control.


Okay, let's skip the fact that Robin (with a huge grin on his face) just suggested putting the "banana" IN The Batman, and jump forward to the summer of 2009. For my birthday my mom got me a Calphalon Double Burner Grill/Griddle. Immediately I was thinking of things like fajitas or shawarma, but I was struck with a fond memory of the Banana French Toast so I had to make it.

Banana French Toast
2 Eggs
2 Bananas, cut into chunks
1 t Vanilla
1/4 cup Milk

Puree all ingredients in blender until smooth. Batter with be thick.
Soak bread slices briefly in batter to coat, cook on griddle over medium heat until golden.

---

Paired with maple sausage patties from Jungle Jim's, enjoying this breakfast was something so very comforting. It made me miss a time I had almost forgotten and it made me REALLY wish Heath Ledger hadn't Darwined himself.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic



Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard - Why So Serious
Found at bee mp3 search engine

No comments: