Sunday, April 27, 2008

Lookin' back for a little green bag...



I don't get why more people don't look forward to Breakfast. Maybe I've actually bought into that goofy notion that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, or maybe I've seen Reservoir Dogs a few too many times, but I really get into breakfast.

There is something utterly amazing about one of those hefty Bacon & Cheese Omelets from the Corner Grill or a stack of pancakes from First Watch, and there are very few feelings better than a cheap cup of coffee in a heavy ceramic mug.

I am a huge fan of the cheap diner, and God knows that's usually where you find the best meals, but sometimes you just need to do it yourself.

Last Sunday, a perfectly sunny spring morning I might add, Kerrie and I sat down for Sweet Cream Waffles, Maple Smoked Sausage, and Dark Roast Coffee.




---
Sweet Cream Waffles
2 Eggs, separated into two bowls
2 Cups Heavy Cream
2 T Sugar
2 Cups Flour
1 T Baking Powder
1/2 t Salt
1/3 Cup Oil

Begin by preheating waffle maker to high heat.
Beat egg whites to stiff peaks, then set aside.
Combine all ingredients, except egg whites, in second bowl. Mix until smooth.
Gently fold egg whites into batter by hand, paying attention not to lose volume of whites.
Pour appropriate portions onto waffle maker and bake for 3 to 5 minutes.
---

No comments: