Thursday, October 18, 2007



According to the late John Gotti, everybody needs to score once in a while...

Such was my luck this past weekend with my Dessert Margarita.

Now, I know that the name of this dessert must sound a tad cliche, but I assure you - this thing was phenomenal. The main idea was to make a dessert to go with a fajita dinner, and to incorporate different flavors and textures.

Enter the Dessert Margarita: a luscious combination of three separate dessert items infused into one little glass. I started with a Tequila Lime Gelee, then added homemade Strawberry ice cream, and topped it with a light vanilla Mousse and a light sprinkle of smoked salt.

The beauty was in the three distinct textures: Firm and Smooth, Creamy and hard, light and airy, and a crunch to end it all. The three flavors, predictably, did not stray away from sweet. I know there is a current trend in desserts to work with quirky and weird flavors, but I wanted to create an experience that people could actually appreciate as something they understand - and crave over and over again.




All in all, this was a win for me. Not at all pretentious, utterly decadent and perfectly pleasing.

"La Di Dadi! Free John Gotti!"
- Fun Lovin' Criminals

No comments: